Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Hunger Games...why should you see it?

  So I know it's kind of late, but I suddenly had this Hunger games urge, and I really want to post about it!! If you're out there wondering why the heck everyone is so obsessed with these books and you don't want to read them yet, read on my friend, read on.


                                                               

When I first heard all the hype about Hunger Games, I was rather skeptical...I mean, these books are loved by *shudder* Twilight fans, and the main theme is children killing each other...it sounds like a cheesy Lord of the Flies...not what you really want to read right?  Well, count your blessings, I have come to save you from theses creepy recommendations  : P

  First of all, even though, yes, it is highly loved by Twilight fans, it is also highly recommended by Twilight haters, or not-so-much-likers such as myself. :)  It's full of great characters, a captivating plot, and, yes, a touch of romance.  Suzanne Collins knows how to put a little romance in without overdoing it, leaving me happy in the end and craving the next book (I've been on the wait list at the library for two months now...)


Also, the theme isn't really children killing children...that's what the government has lined up for everybody, but the whole story is Katniss and Peeta showing that the government is WRONG.  As Peeta puts it "I want to die as myself...I don't want them to change me...I keep wishing I could think of a way to…to show the Capitol they don't own me. That I'm more than just a piece in their Games,"  Peeta is pretty awesome, (though personally, I prefer Gale...he's a touch more manly) and he helps Katniss get through the "games", willing to die before she could get hurt...basically, he's pretty much stupendeous... :P

  I wouldn't reccomend this book for anyone under the tween-age years, and even then, it all depends on the person. If you are reading it, you should realize that in reality, no, the ends don't really justify the means, and DO NOT TAKE THIS BOOK TO HEART. while it is a good book, it is definitely not a morality guide, and shouldn't be taken too serouosly, and I wouldn't follow their guide to what is right and wrong.  Mostly, this was an enjoyable read that left me waiting for the sequel with baited breath. (cheesy sounding but true :)


 So basically, I can't wait for the movie to come out because
a) They actually picked a real actress, not just a famous tramp
b) I love this book!
c) It's the Hunger Games...do I need a reason?!?


I highly recommend reading these before going to see the movie...I hear they're going to keep the story line close to the book, but I always think a movie is better when you've read it already...

Any books you want me to post on?  Let me know in the comments!


~Rae 






1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your review.It's good to know that intelligent teens are recommending that others not take people in the Hunger Games as moral role models. I personally, as a mother of teens, think you are exposed to way too much violence, and don't plan to let my kids see these movies. Also I hear the books get worse with each volume (sorry, but true) so we'll skip reading them.
    Just wanted to say that your review gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete